Ph.D. — Texas A&M University, December 2004
M.S. — University of Nevada, Reno, August 2000
B.S. — University of Nevada, Reno, December 1998
August 2015 to Present — West Virginia University, Resource Economics
June 2014 to August 2015 — University of Idaho, Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, Moscow, ID Associate Professor, with tenure
November 2013 to August 2015 — Graduate Committee Chair
March 2008 to June 2014 — Assistant Professor
March 2005 to February 2008 — Assistant Research Professor, Texas A&M University, Agricultural Economics
August 2004 to December 2004 — Lecturer of Agricultural Economics
September 2001 to August 2004 —Research Assistant
September 2000 to August 2001 — Teaching Assistant
Project Relevant Publications
- Yang, L., L. Elbakidze, C McIntosh, T. Marsh, “Pest management in potato production: pesticide use and secondary pests” Agricultural Economics, accepted
- Elbakidze, L., and Y. Jin (2015) “Are Economic Development and Education Improvement Associated with Participation in Transnational Terrorism?” Risk Analysis, 35(8):1520-35, DOI: 10.1111/risa.12378
- Ghosh, S., K. M. Cobourn, and L. Elbakidze, (2014) “Water Banking, Conjunctive Administration, and Drought: The Interaction of Water Markets and Prior Appropriation in Southeastern Idaho”, Water Resources Research, 50(80): 6927–6949, DOI: 10.1002/2014WR015572
- Elbakidze, L, R. M. Nayga Jr., H. Li, C. McIntosh, (2014) “Value Elicitation for Multiple Quantities of a Quasi-Public Good Using Open Ended Choice Experiments and Uniform Price Auctions”, Agricultural Economics, 45(2):253-265
- Elbakidze L. and K. M. Cobourn, (2013) “Economic Foundations for the Interdisciplinary Modeling of Water Resources under Climate Change”, Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education 152:32-41.
- Egbendewe-Mondzozo, A., L. Elbakidze, B. McCarl, M. P. Ward, and J. Carey, (2013) “Partial equilibrium analysis of vaccination as an avian influenza control tool in the U.S. poultry sector”, Agricultural Economics, 44(1):111-123, DOI: 10.1111/j.1574-0862.2012.00634.x
- Elbakidze, L R. Nayga, H. Li, (2012) “Willingness to Pay for Multiple Quantities of Animal Welfare Dairy Products: Results from Random Nth, Second Price, and Incremental Second Price Auctions”, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 61(3):417-438, DOI: 10.1111/j.1744-7976.2012.01263.
- Elbakidze, L., X Shen, G. Taylor, S. Mooney, (2012) “Spatiotemporal Analysis of Prior Appropriations Water Calls”, Water Resources Research, 48(6):1-13, doi:10.1029/2011WR010609
- Elbakidze, L., and Y. Jin, (2012) “Victim Countries of Transnational Terrorism: An Empirical Characteristics Analysis”, Risk Analysis, 32(12):2152-65, DOI: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2012.01815.x
- Elbakidze, L., and R. Nayga, (2012) “The effects of information on willingness to pay for animal welfare in dairy production: application of non-hypothetical valuation mechanisms”, Journal of Dairy Science, 95(3):1099-1107
- Elbakidze, L., L. Lu, S. Eigenbrode, (2011) “Evaluating Vector-Virus-Yield Interactions for Peas and Lentils under Climatic Variability: A Limited Dependent Variable Analysis” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 36(3):504-520
- Elbakidze, L., L. Highfield, M. Ward, B. McCarl, and B. Norby, (2009) “Economic analysis of mitigation strategies for FMD introduction in highly concentrated animal feeding regions”, Review of Agricultural Economics,31(4):931-950
- Jin, Y., B. McCarl, and L. Elbakidze, (2009) “Risk Assessment and Management of Animal Disease-Related Biosecurity”, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 12(2):186-203
- Jin, Y., Power, G., and L. Elbakidze, (2008) “The Impact of North American BSE Events on Live Cattle Futures Prices” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, (December Proceedings Issue): 1279-1286
- Elbakidze, L., (2008) “Modeling of Avian Influenza Mitigation Policies within the Backyard Segment of the Poultry Sector”, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 33(2):195-211.
- Elbakidze L., (2007) “Economic Benefits of Animal Tracing in the Cattle Production Sector” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 32(1):169-180.
- Elbakidze L. and B. McCarl., (2007) “Sequestration Offsets versus Direct Emission Reductions: Consideration of Environmental Externalities.” Ecological Economics, 60:564-571
- Elbakidze L. and B. McCarl, (2006) “Animal Disease Pre Event Preparedness versus Post Event Response: When is it Economic to Protect?” Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 38(2):327-336
- Elbakidze L., (2006) "Potential Economic Impacts of Changes in Water Availability on Agriculture in the Truckee and Carson River Basins, Nevada, USA," Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 42(4):841-849
- Elbakidze L. and B. McCarl., (2004) “Should We Consider the Co-benefits of Agricultural GHG Offsets?” Choices, Fall
Funding (More than $2.5 Million): Five Most Recent
- Elbakidze, L. R. Jackson, “Economic analysis of energy alternatives and policies for WV”, The Nature Conservancy. $100,000, 2016-2017.
- Elbakidze, L., Schroeder, B. G. Taylor, “Evaluating Irrigation Water Quality Regulation In Fresh Produce Production: The Case Of Treasure Valley In Eastern Oregon And Southwest Idaho”, USDA-AFRI, $402,000, 2016-2000
- Tavarez, H., L. Elbakidze, and A. Chacon, “Alleviating water scarcity in seasonally dry rural Costa Rica: the value of ecosystem service co-benefits from reforestation”, Borlaug Foundation, Purdue University, $19,696, 2014
- Elbakidze, L., G. Taylor, L. Barannyk, RD Schmidt, T Soltaninejad, “Dynamic modeling of rule curve reservoir operations under stochastic climate conditions”, USGS, $13,933
- Elbakidze, L., B. Contor, K. Cobourn, “Analysis of potential for ground water pumping lease markets in a segmented Eastern Snake River Plain Aquifer” Idaho-NSF-EPSCOR, 2011, $64,708