Tsinghua University Beijing, China – Chemistry B.S., 1986
Tsinghua University – Chemical Engineering Ph.D., 1991
University of Pittsburgh – Chemical Engineering Postdoctoral Associate, 1991-1995
University of Washington – Business MBA, 1999-2002
2016-present: Statler Chair in Engineering for Natural Gas Utilization and Director of Shale Gas Center, West Virginia University
2010-2016: Director of Technology Innovation, Koch Industries, Inc.
2007-2010: R&D Manager, Black & Veatch Corporation.
1999-2007: Research Manager, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
1998-1999: Refining Leader, BP Oil
Project Relevant Publications
- Xinli Tong, Zobghui Liu, Jianli Hu, Shenyun Liao, “Au-Catalyzed Oxidative Condensation of Renewable Furfural and Ethanol to Produce Furan-2-Acrolein in the Presence of Molecular Oxygen”, Applied Catalysis, 510, 196-203,2016
- Xinli Tong, Hui Chen, Jianli Hu, Yadong Bi, Zhe Sun, Wenyuan Fan “The Efficient and Sustainable Pyrolysis and Gasification of Biomass by Catalytic Processes”,ChemBioEng, 2(3), 157-174, 2015
- Lili Li, Can Chen, Long Chen, Zixue Zhu, Jianli Hu, “Catalytic Decomposition of Toxic Chemicals Over Iron Group Metals Supported on Carbon Nanotubes”, Environmental Science & Technology, 48, 3372-3377, 2014
- Robert A. Dagle, Jianli Hu, Susanne B. Jones, Wayne Wilcox, John G. Frye, James F. White, Juyuan Jiang, and Yong Wang, “ Carbon Dioxide Conversion to Valuable Chemical Products over Composite Catalytic Systems”, invited paper, Journal of Energy Chemistry, 22, 368-374, 2013
- Jianli Hu, Kriston Brooks, “Highly Stable and Active Catalyst for Sabatier Reaction”, NASA Technology Briefs, 36 (1) 46, 2012
- Juyuan Jiang, Jianli Hu, Mingxian Cui, He Tian, Integration of Hydrogen Production and Waste Heat Recovery in Electrochemcal Wastewater Treatment. Renewable Energy 43, 179-183, 2012
- Lili Li, Changxiu Han, Xinyu Han, Yixiao Zhou , Li Yang, Baogui Zhang, and Jianli Hu, “Decomposition of PH3 Over Cerium-Promoted Co/CNTs Catalysts”. Environmental Science & Technology, 45, 726-731, 2011
- Chunshe Cao, Jianli Hu, Shari Li, Wayne Wilcox, Yong Wang “Intensified Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Process Using Microchannel Catalytic Reactors”, Catalysis Today, 140(3-4), 149-156, 2009
- Wei Liu, Jianli Hu, Yong Wang, “Fischer–Tropsch Synthesis on Ceramic Monolith-Structured Catalysts”, Catalysis Today, 140(3-4), 142-148, 2009
- Jamie D. Holladay, Jianli Hu, D.L. King, Yong Wang, “An Overview of Hydrogen Production Technologies”, Catalysis Today, 139 (4), 244-260, 2009
- “Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis using Microchannel Technology and Novel Catalyst and Microchannel Reactor” ,Y. Wang, A. L. Tonkovich, T. Mazanec, F. P. Daly, D.V. VanderWiel, Jianli Hu ,US Patent 9,023,900 (2015)
- “Dimethyl Ether Production from Methanol and/or Syngas”, Robert Dagle, Yong Wang, Ed Baker, Jianli Hu US Patent 8,957,259 (2015)
- Y. Wang, A. L. Tonkovich, T. Mazanec, F. P. Daly, D.V. VanderWiel, Jianli Hu, C. Cao, C. Kibby, X.H. Li, Y.Chin, “Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Using Microchannel Technology and Novel Catalyst and Microchannel Reactor” U.S Patent 8,188,153 (2012)
- Francis Daly, Junko Watson,Yong Wang, Jianli Hu, Chunshe Cao, “Stable, Catalyzed, High Temperature Combustion in Microchannel Integrated Combustion Reactors. U.S. Patent 8,062,623 (2011)
- Jianli Hu, Robert A. Dagle, Chunshe Cao, Yong Wang, Doug Elliott, Don Stevenes, Jim White, “Alcohol Synthesis from CO or CO2” U.S. Patent 7,858,667 (2010)
- Currently at WVU, I lead a multi-disciplinary team to carry out research in catalysis and reaction engineering particularly in process intensification for natural gas conversion.
- At Koch Industries, BP Oil and Black & Veatch Corp, I led multifunctional teams to execute innovation research programs related to natural gas utilization, petrochemicals, catalytic and biological processing.
- At PNNL. I led a research team to execute federal government funded research programs in gas-to-liquid. Undertook federal funded research programs(DOE, DOD, NASA)
- Adjunct Chair Professor, Beijing University of Chemical Technology, China
- Adjunct Chair Professor, Tianjin University of Technology, China
- Guest Professor, Tianjin University, China
- Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), North American Catalysis Society
- Served on NSF review panel
- Served on Industrial Advisory Board of University of Kansas
- Reviewer of Catalysis Today, Environmental Science & Technology
Collaborators and Other Affiliates
- Collaborate with U.S. national laboratories including NETL, PNNL, INL, ORNL
- Collaborate with a number of U.S. Universities.